Sunday 2 December 2012

My Bookish Review: Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Published: 18th October 2011
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Series: Covenant #1
Pages: 281

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals - well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule number 1: Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she is crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden is not her biggest problem - staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

This. Book. Is. Amazing.

If I had a list for best cover and best beginning to a book, this would be right at the top.

I had been seeing this series a lot of places, in a lot of blogs - plus, it's written by Jennifer L. Armentrout, so it had to be amazing. It was.

The cover of this book is just... wow. All of the books in the Covenant series have really pretty covers, and I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but covers are a huge thing for me. 

The beginning of this book was what made me read it all in a day, neglecting all my weekend duties. As soon as I started it, I knew it was going to be good. You know when you read a book, and you can't even focus on other things in your life as long as you still have pages to read? Well, yeah. That was this book for me.

Half-Blood is about the descendants of Greek gods - it's based on Greek mythology (and I've loved Greek mythology since I was, like, seven). These descendants are called Hematoi, and you're either a pure-blood or a half-blood. Pures have no mortal blood in them, and haalf-bloods are the product of mortals and pures 'mingling'. However, there's a strict rule between pures and half-bloods: They're not allowed to fall in love. 

I love the main characters - Alex and Aiden. Alex is such a headstrong, persevering seventeen-year-old. And Aiden... oh, Aiden. He's a Sentinal, a kind of bodyguard... and he's twenty. I am so in love with him. 

Despite my deep attachment to this book, it did end up remind me of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy... just me? I love both the Vampire Academy and the Covenant series so far, and I'm trying really hard to keep them both apart. I don't know if it's me being a bit weird.

I have to say though, Half-Blood has made it onto my list of favourite books. I'm currently reading the second in the series, and my social life's being seriously ignored. If you're into Greek mythology and teen-forbidden romance, go read this book. It's not something you'll regret.

5/5 Stars - Half-Blood has seriously invaded my bookish thoughts.

Teaser Quote:
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?” 
Goodreads | Amazon | Author's Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I read each one.
Thank you :)